Athletics & Activities
Garfield Re-2 Athletic Philosophy:
It is this school district’s philosophy that all athletic programs are an extension of the classroom and that learning is the “primary” objective for each program.
We believe that…
- Athletic programs promote leadership training, mental and physical health, self-discipline, and responsibility.
- Athletic programs provide a positive alternative to drug and alcohol related activities.
- Athletic programs have a positive effect on the general school climate.
- Athletic programs are responsible for a significant number of students graduating from high school.
- All participation should be voluntary.
- There is value in promoting healthy competition between individuals and teams.
- Athletic programs provide a good balance between individual efforts and team cooperation.
- Athletic programs are an important integral part of the total school.
- Athletic programs should provide equal and equitable opportunities to both boys and girls.
RE-2 Athletic Goals:
The Garfield RE-2 School District supports the concept that a wide variety of athletics should be made available to all students. However, participation in athletics is a “privilege” not a right. Athletics should be conducted in accordance with the following guidelines..
- To emphasize sportsmanship, ethical conduct and fair play.
- To show courtesy and establish good relationships with visiting teams and officials.
- To respect the integrity and judgment of sports officials as well as the rights of others.
- To develop leadership and good judgment by the players on the team.
- To recognize that the purpose of athletics is to promote the physical, mental, moral, social, and emotional well being of the individual players.
- To remind everyone that an athletic contest is only a game – not a matter of life or death for a player, coach, school, official, fan, or community member.
- To promote an understanding of the rules essential to playing the game and emphasize the value of playing by the rules.
- To improve the individual’s ability to work within the framework of a team. To demonstrate and appreciate the values of teamwork.